Monday, April 21, 2014

Spring (Diet) Cleaning

What a wonderful weekend. He is Risen! I love Easter, spring time, Texas allergies, 40 degree temperature changes within 12 hours, crisp air, and the idea of spring cleaning.  So this weekend while I was working at my weekend job, Baylor McKinney Medical Center, I received an email with a link to an interesting article and video about the results of sugar.  This would initiate my spring cleaning of my diet.  Of course we all know to shop the perimeter of the grocery store, filling our buggies (I have waited YEARS to correctly use that word in a sentence) with colorful fruits and vegetables.  But while educating myself more about the consequences of sugar something clicked.  We have a true epidemic on our hands! It's disgusting!  I was reading about Dr Mark Hyman's 10 sugar detox diet and watched his segment from the Dr Oz show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pJOak4kvgU
So here I am early Easter morning knowing that my kids would be kids and want all of their candy that I now see as a drug similar to cocaine.  We're addicted to not only sugar but food in general!  Fast forward 12 hours and I'm cleaning out the pantry before I leave for work.  The ER staff LOVED all of my "treats" of candy, chips, bars, etc that I filled a shopping bag.... ALL gone out of our house.

 "Hi, I'm Olaf and I like warm HUGS!"

 I couldn't wait to pickup Kinnick from preschool and head to Trader Joes and fill our kitchen with healthier options. The kids had a good time shopping knowing that they're normal eating staples didn't make the buggy (sorry, couldn't help it)!  Thank goodness for Pinterest- you have access to everyone's wonderful ideas after a quick search.  Here is to night #1 of fruit and vegetable prepping and eating with no added sugar!  I can't wait to see results as well as feel them, maybe I'll run faster for qualify for Boston by the time I'm 60.




Roasted cauliflower with ranch hot sauce, cottage cheese, carrots, and all natural chicken bites.  Kyron is the chef in our house but tonight it was me... so I had to prepare a back up plan for the kids of the chicken bites just in case :)

What are you favorite clean dishes? No sugar added treats?

No comments:

Post a Comment